Specialization in Democratic Education
Head of specialization: Prof. Avner Ben-Amos
About the program
The study program takes place in the Tel Aviv University School of Education in cooperation with the Institute for Democratic Education. In addition to coming into contact with leading lecturers and researchers, the students will meet with officials involved in the development of democratic schools, with leading educators working in the field and with educational entrepreneurs. The program entitles the participants to an M.A. degree in educational policy from the Tel Aviv University, specializing in democratic education.
The program consists of four dimensions:
Personal development - developing a personal, educational, pedagogical and social identity.
Community educators - creating a community of educators who will work together to shape the future of schools.
Research - coming into contact with groundbreaking educational research, including research in the field of progressive education, and training for carrying out research in progressive education.
Practice - translating educational theories into an educational reality in the field.
The program includes:
A final project or thesis.
The possibility of thesis work within the framework of a research group that focuses upon changes in education.
A workshop for alternative models for learning and teaching.
A special course, spread over two years, which seeks to provide pedagogical-managerial, research and educational tools for improving educational activity.
A unique seminar aimed at shaping the identity of the educator through meetings with researchers coming from several fields of knowledge.
Seminars, elective courses and methodological lessons.
The history and philosophy of progressive education.
Five reasons to study with us:
- You and the program revolve around your experience, your abilities and your worldview. These will help you build your identity and shape an educational perspective.
- You are also integrated into a different learning, non-hierarchical workshop that includes personal and group participation and work in a field that is tailored to your interests.
- Who will be your teachers - meetings with high-quality faculty that promotes creative and dialogue teaching. Faculty that promotes significant and innovative educational activity will also be integrated alongside university staff that produces groundbreaking educational research.
- Who will study with you - the program is a magnet for quality educators who wish to take part in educational change, and also a fruitful environment that will contribute to achievements in studies and careers.
- Results indicate that a high percentage of the program's graduates stand out both in studies and careers. Many of our graduates are now at the center of decision-making at all levels of the education system.
Our era, with its unexpected challenges, requires a fundamental change in existing educational approaches as well as the creation of new educational patterns. The education system needs educators who can promote change. The program is intended for those persons who wish to acquire a broad view of progressive pedagogy and work to develop it, assimilate it, and be in the forefront of changes in teaching, learning, evaluation, schools and society.
A different learning style:
We offer an experiential journey that challenges thinking and requires one to develop an educational identity and a cohesive educational and social worldview. These are features that will enable a person to lead.
B.Ed. or B.A. with an average of 80 and above
Priority will be given to those who have had previous training or experience in education, and who have an interest in improving the education system.